SURGERY FOR LOOSE SKIN AFTER WEIGHT LOSS
Whether weight is lost through diet and exercise or through bariatric surgery, many people are left with loose skin that hangs, which they often feel very self-conscious about. Here's what happens, when someone is overweight, the skin stretches to accommodate the increased volume of weight. After weight loss, the skin often fails to tighten, and so it sags. In many cases, it hangs. It acts as a constant reminder of the weight you once were. Further diet and exercise WILL NOT tighten skin (exercise never tightens skin - only muscles). The only way to tighten loose skin is through surgery. Is Liposuction an Option? Not if your problem is due to loose skin. The only time lipo is a better choice is when there is a lot of fat and the skin is tight. When the skin is loose, lift surgery is usually the best choice.
The most common problem areas are:
- Abdominal skin, where the solution would be an abdominoplasty
- Arm skin commonly known as “bingo wings” can be removed by surgery technically known as brachioplasty
- Breast skin, which can affect men as well as women for which a mastopexy or reduction can be performed
- Inner thigh, where an inner thigh lift can be done
- Thigh and buttocks where an outer thigh and buttock lift can be done.
All these procedures can be done separately or in a combination, and it may be thought best to stage surgery over two or three sessions This decision will be made after a comprehensive consultation with the surgeon, taking into account what you are unhappy about, your medical condition and your age. A body lift, is the combination of tummy tuck, inner thigh lift, and outer thigh/buttock lift. A belt lipectomy is a combination of tummy tuck with outer thigh and buttock lift.